Where and What to Fish on Long Island NY
Looking to Go Fishing on Long Island?
Celtic Quest Knows all the Long Island Fishing Hot Spots!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions of hope, fun and excitement!”
Fishing is one of the most popular leisure activities enjoyed by many millions of people across the globe. While there are many places around the world to drop a line, Celtic Quest knows exactly how to find the best fishing spots on Long Island.
Whether you are looking to go deep sea fishing on Long Island, fluke fishing on Long Island or just want to know how to find the most amazing saltwater fishing spots in Long Island, you’re in the right place!
Come aboard a Celtic Quest boat for a family fishing trip or a fishing charter boat and we will help you find the best Long Island fishing spots including Long Island saltwater fishing, sailing right out of Port Jefferson, NY.
In fact, many say Long Island fishing spots offer some of the best saltwater fishing in the entire United States. Surrounded by gorgeous blue water full of fish and beautiful wildlife on all sides, the Island offers miles and miles of coastline which add up to a wide range of experiences for fishing in Long Island, NY.
Where and What to Fish on Long Island
Where to Fish?
Of course, we want you to fish with us at Celtic Quest out of Port Jefferson because we know the best fishing spots on Long Island. However, it’s true that there are many great fishing hot spots on Long Island. Listed below are some “sweet honey fishing holes” which you deserve to know about:
- Port Jefferson – This is a famous old port which is known historically as a boat building port for many centuries. This popular destination is also famous for the best party boats and charters in that area (including the Celtic Quest Fishing)! Yielding a wide array of fish such as Fluke, Striped Bass, Sea Bass and more, Port Jefferson is a wonderful place to shop, eat, or just hang out in the village which is full of art, all types of cuisine, shopping and beautiful parks. It really is a wonderful village to enjoy whether you spend the day or stay overnight here at Port Jefferson, NY
Click here to schedule with us now…
- Fire Island – Fire Island is a place especially known for its diverse people, plants, animals, wildlife and plenty of fish! Who would want to miss a chance to immerse themselves in an enchanting diversity of coastal life, exciting wildlife, rhythmic waves and gorgeous beaches? Fire Island is a popular fishing destination and a hidden gem full of natural wonders.
- Robert Moses State Park – Linked to Fire Island, Robert Moses State Park is a prime surf fishing spot for Fluke fishing on Long Island–Bluefish and Crabs, too. Besides fishing, they also have a spectacular golf course for those who wish to take a break from catching fish.
- Shinnecock Bay – With the possibility of pier fishing, surf fishing and charters, this fishing spot is quite popular in the Hamptons. You can choose between deciding to go to the bay straight away or visit the canal that links the north and south shores.
- Lake Ronkonkoma – This is Long Island’s largest freshwater lake and people who live around it or have visited it, have always been in awe of the beauty of the lake. Among other fish species in the lake, it also boasts of having Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Yellow Perch, White Perch and Brown Bullhead as its inhabitants.
What Fish to Target?
Let’s review the various species of fish that you can catch on a family fishing boat trip or, a private charter boat. Whether you are looking for a day trip from Port Jefferson or some deep sea fishing off Long Island, Celtic Quest has you covered. We know where the best fishing spots on Long Island are located.
- Fluke – Long Island Fluke Fishing has been a long time favorite and New York is proud to have some of the best Long Island fluke fishing around. Fluke can only be found between the months of April and September. This delicious creature is a favorite among seafood lovers.
- Seabass – Immensely exciting to target, seabass love to battle it out until the end, so one needs to be extra prepared while trying to hook the seabass. They can be found biting all around the island from the months of June to the end of the year. Make sure to take a picture with this beauty once you have managed to catch it!
- Cod – One of the most favorite dishes for generations has been fish and chips hailing originally from Ireland and the UK. Traditional fish and chips is made with cod, one of Long Island’s most sought-after creatures. There is no particular season for the cod, which means you can target it all throughout the year. Celtic Quest will take you to all of Long Island’s fishing hot spots and you may get lucky and catch cod during a Long Island family fishing trip or Port Jefferson NY charter boat trip.
- Tuna – From more inshore fishing to deep sea fishing off Long Island, Tuna fishing is not considered just a pastime activity but it is actually something to be proud of. Bluefin Tuna and Yellowfin Tuna are prized species of Tuna and are known to grow to huge sizes and are also popular for their delicious meat sought after all over the world.
The Best Types of Fishing on Long Island
Of course, we want you to visit us in Port Jefferson at Celtic Quest but there are many different types of fishing on Long Island. From wade fishing in the creeks to travelling offshore or on a long pier or enjoying your time aboard a joy cruise with your friends or on a chartered boat, there is something for all kinds of anglers in Long Island.
- Long Island Surf Fishing – If you crave those moments or hours of solitude, try the beaches, grassy areas, creeks or the structures sticking out into the water. Hempstead Lake State Park, Jones Beach Fishing Pier, Magnolia Pier, Seaford Town Dock and many others are great options for Long Island Surf fishing. If you want to really get close to the fish, you can try going to the bays on the north side of the island while the south shore gets you close to the shallow creeks and inlets. If you are on the south shore, Captree State Park has a dedicated fishing area and Fire Island has beaches spread across 30 miles that give you amazing areas to catch your favorite fish. On the north shore of Long Island, look no further than a fishing boat trip out of Port Jefferson with Celtic Quest.
- Long Island Pier Fishing – Wherever you go fishing on Long Island, you will come across fishing piers which can be a great and easy way to fish if you only have an hour or two. These designated piers get you closer to your catch and provide you a great view. Captree State Park is a hotspot for fishing piers and has four designated piers. Babylon and Fire Island have their own piers too. Some other good locations are Cedar Beach, Stony Brook or Port Washington.
- Long Island Charter Boat Fishing – Port Jefferson Charter boat fishing is a favorite way of fishing across Long Island. There are several commercial charter fishing boats which will take you to all the hot fishing spots on Long Island. Of course, we suggest Celtic Quest!
Other great fishing companies beyond Celtic Quest include: Shinnecock Star, Peconic Star Fleet and Charter Boat Montauk.
For a Great Day of Family Fun Fishing or a Private Fishing Charter, Give Celtic Quest Fishing a Go!
- We offer fishing trips for beginners and experienced anglers–anyone really looking for a next-level experience.
- We also make our boats and crew available for corporate private charters and groups of up to 100 people.
- We pride ourselves in teaching beginners how to fish and best of all everything is included: Rods, Bait and Tackle.
Our Celtic Quest Fishing team is focused on making sure you have the best fishing experience possible. All you need to bring is lunch, a small cooler for your catch and a smile!
We get testimonials like this all the time! Check out our reviews.
“(Celtic Quest) is the boat that other fishing boats should take after….. crew is awesome, everyone is courteous and nice, and glad to say I have made many friends on this boat, great people…clean, and comfortable…top of the line boat in my book… all around !!!”
– Christine, Long Island NY
Long Island Fresh Water Fishing – With so many choices to make and various options to choose from, let us now look at a list of freshwater ponds, lakes and rivers on Long Island. We have discussed a few earlier in the blog but it’s now time to look at a few more :
- Hempstead Lake State Park:- Located between Rockville Centre, this park consists of the Hempstead Lake, South Pond and Macdonald Pond. With amenities such as parking, restrooms, benches etc. and species like Largemouth Bass, Chain Pickerel, Bluegill, Goldfish and many more, this location is quite a favourite among enthusiastic fishermen.
- Grant Park Pond:- Spread across 6 acres and with a maximum depth of 8 feet, Grant Park Pond is a wonderful location if you wish to go Bass fishing.
- Wantagh Twin Lakes:- Upper twin pond and lower twin pond located in Wantagh include species such as Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Pumpkin Seed, Brown Bullhead and many more.
- Belmont Lake:- One can find species such as Bluegill, Pumpkin Seed, Brown Bullhead, Brook Trout and many more can be found in Belmont Lake State Park, Babylon. This lake is spread across 19 acres and a maximum depth of 4 feet. This is a fantastic location for fishing enthusiasts.
- Blydenburgh Lake:- Also known as Stump, New mill or Weld’s Pond, this lake is located within Blydenburgh County Park in Smithtown.
With the complete Long Island fishing list in place, you are good to go and do let us know about your fishing experience. After all, everyone needs a vacation and ways to keep yourself and your loved one’s entertained.
Happy fishing to All!
“A day without fishing is like a day without sunshine”